Monday, December 21, 2009

Can I buy a flight to a place that is cheaper in order to fly to the layover location

Can I buy a flight to a place that is cheaper in order to fly to the layover location?
I want to know if I can..."work the system". a flight to Buffalo from Los angeles is only $99, with a layover at Atlanta. I want to go to Atlanta, but it would be $190 to fly there directly. So if I never went to Buffalo and stayed at the Atl location, would that pose a problem. My main concern is going back, if I confirm my tickets at Buffalo and they don't see that I boarded, they'd cancel my seat on the connecting flight back from Atl to LAX. What do you guys think?
Air Travel - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well when you buy round trip tickets, you are technically purchasing two one way tickets. With your connection in Atlanta, you are switching planes. So if you didn't show up, then you are forfeiting your fare for the ATL-BUF segment, not a big deal. The problem you will encounter is when you showed up in ATL to fly back to LAX. They will see that you paid a round trip and you should have started in BUF. At that point they will charge you either a change fee or a new ticket depending on the carrier and their rules. You could get bit in the ass, so I wouldn't take that chance. The $190 for the direct flight is definitely going to be cheaper in the long run!
2 :
Don't do it. If you don't take your second segment, they will cancel the rest of your itinerary, since you were a "no-show".
3 :
i do this to fly out of HOTlanta all the time and just wait for deals on one way tickets. if you do but round trip then the others are right, you will get screwed.
4 :
Your plan would work OK going. But not coming back. Your "main concern" is spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search News