Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What do I need to consider for a Cape Buffalo Hunt

What do I need to consider for a Cape Buffalo Hunt?
This is for way down the line (speaking years here) but it's a dream of mine and I figure I might as well start planning now. I've researched that the hunt itself is $20k-$30k USD with flight and everything included, plus I'd need a powerful rifle and time/money spent learning to shoot said rifle. Figuring the rifle and ammo is going to be $4k-$5k itself, am I correct to say I'll need to save up $35k? There are things I can buy leading up to the hunt (the rifle, gear, etc) but a lot of it is at the end (flight, guide fees, African country game fees, etc), so I know I'll have to save up for quite some time. Also, what caliber and make of rifle would you suggest? I'm looking at the Ruger M77 Safari in .458 Lott or the A-Square Hannibal in .577 Tyrannosaur. For starters, I've never even fired a heavy duty magnum. Any suggestions on where to fire one? None of my friends have anything even close to the big game rounds (no .416s or .458s or even .375H&H for me to try) so I don't know how I'd handle the immense recoil. I'm a large, strong guy at 6'4", 270 lbs but I'd love to actually shoot something of power before buying one, and if I can handle it I'd prefer the A-Square in .577. Where and how can I find a way to start shooting some of the big african cartridges?
Hunting - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
First off, a single shot is not the rifle you want for a cape buffalo. Plan on finding a double, and a cartridge like the .375 H&H, or even a .470 Nitro. Keep in mind a cheap double is going to set you back $6,000-$8,000. Its also going to weigh 20+ pounds, so be sure your guide service has a porter for you. Im surprosed that none of your freinds have .416's or .458's for you to try out, they are just so darn popular these days. I love the new Bushy .416 rigby with the quad rails and compensator. Dont rule out the barrett in 50BMG, although im not positive that 13,000 Ft/lbs of force can stop a cape buffalo, so a plain old RPG may be a good backup.
2 :
Largest thing I've made go boom on my shoulder was a .416 rigby in a re-chambered 98K, and it certainly got my attention. It wasn't ridiculous, but an eye opener, and I weighed less than I do now. I shot a 6 inch group that day at 50 yards, somewhat because the second shot caused me to anticipate a tweeensy bit. My father has a 9.3x62 CZ 550, which is a 98K clone on the highest order, and that's quite a bit more tame than a real .40 cal like the .416, but has been used to down these things for decades. (He also is planning a hunt) I guess the big question is how secure you feel. I'd describe the .375 and 9.3 both as medium-heavy recoil rounds, with the .416 as heavier by a far magin, and I remember when talking to a gent my father worked with, he said that .416 was manageable compared to the real rocker .45 caliber safari rounds. Everything I've read points to guides perfering that you're comfortable and somewhat proficient with a medium power rifle instead of having a brand new howitzer that you're not too comfortable shooting. The 9.3x62 and it's cousin the 9.3x74 are both nice rounds, and you would have a hard time going wrong with a .375 H&H. Shot placement will beat pure firepower most of the time.
3 :
If you've already had trouble with the recoil of a 300, it would be a good plan to get into handloading between here and there. The Ruger in 458 wouldn't be a bad pick, and you could start out with handloads not much different from 45-70 in recoil. The CZ 550 is also available in both 416 Rigby and 458 Lott. There's simply no point in considering 577. The 577NE was never a hunting rifle but rather a stopping rifle as backup to the hunting rifle, and the 577 Tyrannosaur duplicates its ballistics.
4 :
You don't quite need an elephant gun to hunt Cape Buffalo. Ideally, the cartridge should employ a 300 grain bullet designed for maximum penetration, or larger, with about 3,500 foot pounds of stopping power minimum. A .375 H & H, a 9.3mm x 62, ,or a .416 Remington would be sufficient. Even a .340 Weathewrby magnum would be a good choice. Double rifles are a real work of craftsmanship, but very costly. A bolt rifle would be a better choice. The cheapest double rifles are manufactured by Merkel and Beretta--and carry about a 7,000 dollar price tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search News